National Water Mission – Essay Composition – For W.B.C.S. Examination.
The National Water Mission was launched in 2011. With the per capita availability of water reducing every year, reducing groundwater tables, prolonged droughts, floods due to excess rains; water conservation and storage is a cause of very significant concerns for every nation.Continue Reading National Water Mission – Essay Composition – For W.B.C.S. Examination.
Impact of climate change on water resources.
- The decline in the glaciers in the Himalayas.
- The drought situation in many parts of the country due to shortage in rainfall.
- Increase in floods due to the increase in the intensity of rains
- Effect on groundwater quality and quantity
- Increased saline intrusion in coastal aquifers due to rising sea levels.
What is the purpose of having this mission?
- Conserve water
- Minimize wastage
- Manage water resources in such a way that there is an equal distribution of water across the nation.
The objective of the National Water Mission
- Increase water use efficiency by 20% through regulations, differential entitlements and pricing.
- A considerable share of water needs of urban areas is to be met through recycling of wastewater.
- Water requirements of coastal cities are to be met through the adoption of low-temperature desalination technologies.
- Consult with states to ensure that basin-level management strategies are made to deal with variability in rainfall and river flows due to climate change.
- Enhance storage above and below ground, implement rainwater harvesting.
- Adopt large scale irrigation programmes which rely on sprinklers, drip irrigation and ridge and furrow irrigation.
- Sub-Committee on “Surface Water Management committee”
- Sub-Committee on “Efficient use of water for various purposes committee”
- Sub-Committee on “Domestic and Industrial Water management committee
- Sub-Committee on “Policy and Institutional framework committee”
- Sub-Committee on “Groundwater management committee”
- Sub-Committee on “Basin level planning and management”
An important milestone of this mission was the establishment of a Water Resources Information System (WRIS). This fulfils the mission’s goal to have an extensive database on water resources in the public domain.
National Water Mission Awards 2019
As per the mission document of the National Water Mission, the mission has 5 goals and 39 strategies. One of the strategies is to incentivize the organisations through awards. In line with this Mission has decided to confer ‘National Water Mission Awards’ in recognition of excellence achieved in sustainable water management, efficient use of water, and for excellence in water conservation.
The awards are given in the following 10 categories.
- Comprehensive water database in the public domain – Winners of this award are the Water Resources Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh and Irrigation and CAD Department, Government of Telangana.
- Assessment of the impact of climate change on water resources – Winners of this award are Environmental Planning and Coordination Organisation (EPCO), Department of Environment, Bhopal.
- Promotion of citizen and state action for water conservation, augmentation and preservation – Winners are the Water Resources Department, Government of Rajasthan and Department of Soil and Water conservation, Government of Punjab.
- Focused attention to vulnerable areas including over-exploited areas – Winners are Ambuja Cement Foundation, and State Ground Water Department, Government of Telangana.
- Increasing water use efficiency by 20% – (Local individuals/farmer/citizens)
- Increasing water use efficiency by 20% – (WUA, SHG’s, RWA’s)
- Increasing water use efficiency by 20% (Public agencies – ULB’s/Cities, Govt organisations etc) – Winners are Department of Telangana Rural water supply and sanitation, Govt of Telangana for its Mission Bhagiratha.
- Increasing water use efficiency by 20% (Industries/Corporate) – Winners are Hindustan Coca Cola Beverages Pvt Ltd, Guntur; Lalitpur Power Generation Company Ltd, Raymond UCO Denim Pvt Ltd.
- Promotion of basin level integrated water resources management – Winners are the Water Resources Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh
- Water Resources Department, Maharashtra.
Our own publications are available at our webstore (click here).
For Guidance of WBCS (Exe.) Etc. Preliminary , Main Exam and Interview, Study Mat, Mock Test, Guided by WBCS Gr A Officers , Online and Classroom, Call 9674493673, or mail us at – firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our you tube channel WBCSMadeEasy™ You tube Channel
Please subscribe here to get all future updates on this post/page/category/website