Strategy To Prepare Animal Husbandry And Veterinary Science Optional – For IAS Mains Examination.
Animal husbandry is the management and care of farm animals by humans. Veterinary Science is the science of diagnosing, treating and curing diseases in birds and animals.Continue Reading Strategy To Prepare Animal Husbandry And Veterinary Science Optional – For IAS Mains Examination.
It covers the study of animal physiology, treatment and prevention of diseases among animals. It is one of the optional subjects offered by the UPSC for the civil services mains exam.
Paper I Strategy
- For this section, you should refer to the Principles of Animal Nutrition by DV Reddy.
- The important topics in this section are energy-protein relationship, use of NPN compounds, feed additives, conservation of fodders, storage and anti-nutritional factors associated with them, and poultry nutrition.
- For the topics Endocrine and Cardiovascular Systems, you should use the Textbook of Medical Physiology by Guyton and Hall.
- Under the endocrine system, the biochemistry part can be covered from Biochemistry by U Satyanarayana (especially for the subtopics buffers, and acid-base balance). Growth curves, mammary development and digestive organs are important subtopics here.
- For the chapters blood, respiration and excretion, you should read Dukes’ Physiology of Domestic Animals.
- Under excretion, make sure to read the part about birds. Make notes for this section as it is vast and very difficult to revise at the last moment.
- You should practice diagrams for blood cells, cardiac cycle, pulmonary circulation, kidney and its structures, cerebrospinal fluid circulation and air sacs in birds.
- A good source for studying this section is the online source TANUVAS.
- Another source is Perspectives in Animal Ecology and Reproduction by Verma and Gupta.
- Important topics here are gametogenesis, spermatogenesis and oogenesis, qualitative and quantitative characteristics of semen, and methods of detection of estrus.
Livestock Production and Management
- You can refer to Principles of Dairy Management by P Venkateshwara Rao for this section.
- For feeding during draughts, floods and other natural calamities, you can use Pashudhan Magazine. This subsection is very important as the UPSC always asks questions from here.
Genetics and Animal Breeding
- For population genetics, you can read Cell Biology by Agarwal and Agarwal.
- You can also refer to Principles of Genetics by Gardner, Population Genetics by DC Falconer and Population Genetics by SS Tomar.
- The important topics here are qualitative and quantitative traits, HW equilibrium and factors affecting the equilibrium (migration, mutation and selection), the partition of variation, and breeding value and its estimation.
- Derivation of H-W law and the heritability derivations are not that important.
- For Breeding Systems, you should refer to Animal breeding by SS Tomar and Introduction to Practical Animal Breeding by Dalton.
- For this section, you can read the textbook of Animal Husbandry and Livestock Extension by P. Mathialagan.
- You should also be aware of the latest government schemes related to animal husbandry.
- This is a scoring section and makes sure to study learning methodology, transfer of technology and government schemes as these topics are frequently asked.
Anatomy, Pharmacology and Hygiene
- The important topics in Histology are staining, freezing microtome and microscopy.
- For this section, you should use a textbook of Histology Including the Microscopic Technique by Philipp Stoehr.
- The important topics under embryology are gametogenesis, fertilization, germ layers, foetal membranes, placentation, teratology and germ layers derivatives.
- You don’t have to study organogenesis in detail.
- Please remember that questions are rarely asked from anatomy.
- For veterinary hygiene, you should read A Textbook of Animal Husbandry by GC Banerjee. Practice diagrams of housing pattern.
- Important diseases are brucellosis, rabies, rinderpest and PPR, anthrax, pasteurellosis, swine fever, glanders, strangles, leptospirosis and clostridia group.
- Important topics in immunisation are herd immunity, zero disease concept, and chemoprophylaxis.
- Metabolic diseases is a very important section.
- You can refer to Prevention and Treatment of Diseases of the Domestic Animals Including Etiology and Symptoms by Kenelm Winslow
Veterinary Public Health
- Under zoonoses, the role of animals and birds in the transmission is important.
- You can read Zoonoses: Bacterial Diseases by Sudhi Ranjan Garg and Veterinary Ethics and Jurisprudence by Kirti Dua.
- You should also study the Textbook of Elements of Veterinary Public Health by Bachhil and Thapliyal (ICAR).
Milk and Milk Products Technology
- This is the most important section of Paper-II.
- Practice flow diagrams of product manufacture.
- You can use Outlines of Dairy: Technology by Sukumar De.
Meat Hygiene and Technology
- For this section, you can refer to Meat and Meat Products Technology by BD Sharma.
Please subscribe here to get all future updates on this post/page/category/website