W.B.C.S. Examination Notes On – General Science – Biology – Immune Booster.
Immunity is the main process that defends the body from infections and sometimes, the body may be unable to elicit enough responses that can eliminate them. Therefore, it is important to consume immune-boosting foods to strengthen the body against seasonal infections such as cases of flu and viral infections, cancer, arthritis, allergies.Continue Reading W.B.C.S. Examination Notes On – General Science – Biology – Immune Booster.
Sometime, during a cold or flu season, one will wonder why some people do not get infected despite being in contact with those infected, considering the flu and cold are spread by air droplets. Yes, its because some people have a stronger immune system as compared to others. How does this happen? Remember, the immune system is the first line of defense against antigens that invade the body. so, with a strong immune system, there is less likelihood of contracting some illnesses but not totally.
A change in diet can, however, boost and strengthen the immunity of a person with weakened immune systems such as persons with lifestyle disorders like diabetes hypertension, some immune deficiency diseases like HIV/AIDs, immune-suppressed patients like those under medication, etc. An immunity that is suppressed or compromised, it is important that such an individual is encouraged and administered with immune-boosting foods to strengthen them in reaction to foreign elements.
These foreign bodies are found in a wide range of environments so they can be acquired and transmitted in several other ways. A healthy body means a healthy immune system that has the ability to protect itself against these antigens. The body naturally produces white blood cells which play a key role in producing immune cells for body defense. The body also produces chemicals and proteins that can also attack and eliminate the antigens. The body’s defense mechanism finds the antigens and eliminates it before it can be able to replicate and spread.
Depending on the load of the antigen, the immune system responds rapidly by producing the specific responders against the antigen in large quantities. The effectiveness of the immune system is favored by its ability to recognize millions of antigens and producing specific immune molecules to combat the antigens.
Besides ita ability to attack the millions of antigens, it is essential to boost the immunity to act viciously against the antigens. To boost immunity means intake or consumption of certain food that provides additional benefits to the body. To boost immunity its important to take the right kind of foods in the right quantities.
Research has indicated that foods that have vitamin C are huge immune boosters especially for flu and the common cold.
1. Almonds as Immune Booster Foods
Almonds are a type of dry fruits that are majorly consumed to prevent and fight off colds. They are small in size but they contain a lot of nutrients beneficial to the body, whole body pulp made up of vitamins and minerals and healthy fats.
The benefits of almonds include:
- Lowering blood pressure
- Control blood sugar
- Regulate cholesterol level
- Ellevate constipation, respiratory disorders, and anemia.
- They also help in hair repair and growth, nail strengthening, and dental strength and care.
- They have Vitamin E and C which are great immune boosters
- A nut contains 5 grams of carbohydrates which maintain a low-carb level in the diet.
- It is rich in antioxidants that regulate free radicals preventing infections, with an anti-inflammatory effect,immune-boosting properties, and anti-hepatotoxicity effect.
- Almonds improve the movement of food through the colon, thereby preventing build-up and possibly the subsequent colon cancer.
- The presence of Vitamin E is an effective antioxidant that reduces the risks of heart diseases and coupled with magnesium they help prevent heart attacks.
- Almond oil is a nutritive element providing good health and functioning of the nervous systems. As a dry fruit, it contains riboflavin and L-carnitine which have been associated with increased brain development and activity. They are recommended for children to help brain development. They also reduce the risks of Alzheimer’s disease.
- The vitamins, minerals, and phosphorus have been linked to bone development and strengthening.
- Almond oil is used for massaging and improves skin appearance and reverses signs of aging.
Almonds can be consumed in different ways including, making almond milk a nutritive beverage better than milk; can be used as a top-up in yogurt or oatmeal; grinding the nuts to make powder which can be used to prepare almond butter by adding salt; sprinkling almond powder in vegetables and salads; used as a garnish in dishes and pizzas.
2. Broccoli as Immune Booster Foods
- This is a vegetable that is rich in vitamins and minerals and fiber.
- They have Vitamin A, C, and E, with several antioxidants, qualifying then as one of the healthiest vegetables.
- To ensure that you get all the nutrients from broccoli, cook it for a short time or eat it raw.
3. Citrus fruit as Immune Booster Foods
- This is a vitamin C food that mainly helped in treating flu and colds.
- They boost the immune system by increasing white blood cell production, which are the major elements involved in protecting and fighting infections in the body.
- These fruits include lemons, oranges, limes, grapefruits, tangerine, and clementines.
- However, it is important to consume citrus fruits daily to boost immunity continuously because the body does not produce vitamin C naturally.
- They can be consumed whole or they can be squeezed into the meal while eating.
4. Elderberry as Immune Booster Foods
- This is a type of bush tree whose berries and flowers have been studied and known for their health benefits for centuries now. It is scientifically known as Sambucus nigra.
- It has been used to make syrups, jams, food colors, wine, and lozenges.
- Elderberry extracts have proved to have antibacterial, antiviral, anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It has several flavonoids.
- Elderberries are added in syrups which are used as remedies for colds, flu, and bacterial sinus infections. It reduces the swelling of the mucus membrane.
- Being a plant that helps in the management of flu, it may also be helpful in providing a stronger immune response against COVID-19.
- They have a laxative effect.
- They also lower sugar levels for diabetic patients.
- Generally, elderberries stimulate the immune system to produce immune elements that protect the body from foreign agents.
Our own publications are available at our webstore (click here).
For Guidance of WBCS (Exe.) Etc. Preliminary , Main Exam and Interview, Study Mat, Mock Test, Guided by WBCS Gr A Officers , Online and Classroom, Call 9674493673, or mail us at – email@example.com
Visit our you tube channel WBCSMadeEasy™ You tube Channel
Please subscribe here to get all future updates on this post/page/category/website