W.B.C.S Main 2005 Optional Question Paper English Literature.
W.B.C.S Main 2005 Optional Question Paper English -PAPER -1
1. Give the substance of the following poem add a critical note.Continue Reading W.B.C.S Main 2005 Optional Question Paper English Literature.
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high :
Where knowledge is free :
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls :
Where words come out from the depth of truth :
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection :
Where the clear stream of season has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit :
Where the mind is led forward by Thee into ever-widening thought and action-
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.
2. Write an essay on any one of the following :
(a) Shelley as a Lyric-Poet.
(b) Nature in William Wordsworth and Thomas Hardy.
(c) The Pre-Raphaelite Poetry.
3. Answer any one of the following :
(a) Select any one of Lamb’s essays and examine the blend of humour and pathos.
(b) Assess Robert Browning as a writer of Dramatic Monologue with reference to at least two of his poems.
(c) Write a note on the revival of the Comedy of Manners during the twentieth century and evaluate Oscar Wilde as one of the prominent comedy writers of the class:
4. Answer any one of the following :
(a) Give your estimate of Walter Horatio Pater (1839-1894) as a critic of the Voctorian Age.
(b) Write a critical note on any one of the following :
(i) The Mayor of Casterbridge
(ii) Withering Heights
(iv) Mrs. Warren’s Profession.
(c) Write a note on Thackeray as a novelist, expatiating on the various aspects of his art.
W.B.C.S Main 2005 Optional Question Paper English -PAPER -2
Group – A
Answer any three questions.
1. In what sence is Chaucer a harbinger of the Renaissance in English literature ? Answer with reference to at least one of his works.
2. Trace the development of English comedies prior to the making of Shakespearean comedies.
3. What are the features which attracted the attention of the 20th century poets to the metaphysical school of poetry in English literature ? Answer with special reference to at least two meta physical poets.
4. Do you observe any romantic feature in the novels of Jane Austen ? Refer to at least two of her novels to support your argument.
5. Indicate the importance of any one of the following in the history of English literature : T. S. Eliot. Thomas. J. M. Synge. Graham Greene.
6. Write short notes on any two of the following :
(a) An Apologie for Poetrie.
(b) Samson Agonistes.
(c) The Gothic Novels.
(d) The Lyrical Ballads.
(e) Socioeconomic problems as portrayed in the Victorian novels.
(f) To the Lighthouse.
7. Why were Old Norse words so easily assimilated with Old English ? Give an account of how Old Norse words affected Old English vocabulary during the Dane Law.
8. In what why has English vocabulary developed from within Analyse the different native methods of forming new words.
9. Write philological notes on any eight of the following:
fratenity, beef, inch, dream, quartz, boomerang, devil, debt, pet, felin, royal, saloon, island, ego, vine.
10. Coment on Shakespeare’s use of parallelism and contrast in the portraiture of characters in his mature comedies, with special reference to Twelfth Night and As You Like It.
11. What is the relevance of the character of Banquo in Macbeth ? Do you find any ambiguity deliberately left in this character by Shekespeare ? If so, why ?
12. Analyse the role of Lady Macbeth on the career of Macbeth.
13. Attempt a critical assessement of any one of following :
(a) The Boy Actors.
(b) Stage Direction in the Dramas of Shakespeare’s Time.
(c) Use of Blank Verse in Shakespeare’s Plays.
(d) The Blackfriars Theatre.
Our own publications are available at our webstore (click here).
For Guidance of WBCS (Exe.) Etc. Preliminary , Main Exam and Interview, Study Mat, Mock Test, Guided by WBCS Gr A Officers , Online and Classroom, Call 9674493673, or mail us at – firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our you tube channel WBCSMadeEasy™ You tube Channel
Please subscribe here to get all future updates on this post/page/category/website