WBCS Main Optional Bengali Literature Syllabus
Paper – I : Section-A
1) Topics from the History of Bangla Language.Continue Reading WBCS Main Optional Bengali Literature Syllabus.
a) The chronological track from Proto Indo-European to Bangla (Family tree with branches and
b) Historical stages of Bangla (Old, Middle, New) and their linguistic features.
c) Dialects of Bangla and their distinguishing characteristics.
d) Elements of Bangla Vocabulary.
e) Forms of Bangla Literary Prose-Sadhu and Chalit.
2) Process of Phonetic Changes in Bangla Language.
Apinihiti (Anaptyxis), Abhishruti (Umlaut), Samibhavan (Assimilation), Svarabhakti /
Viprakarsha, Svarasangati (Vowel harmony).
3) Problems of standardization and reform of alphabet and spelling and those of
transliteration and Romanization.
4) History of Bangla Literature.
a) Periodization of Bangla Literature: Old Bangla and Middle Bangla.
b) Roots and reasons behind the emergence of modernity in Bangla Literature.
c) Evolution of various Middle Bangla forms: Mangal kavyas, Vaishnava lyrics, Adapted
narratives (Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavata) and religious biographies.
d) Narrative and lyric trends in the nineteenth century Bangla poetry.
e) Development of prose.
f) Bangla dramatic literature (nineteenth century, Tagore, Post-1944 Bangla drama).
5) Tagore and Post Tagoreans (upto the decade of fifties).
6) Fiction, major authors:
Bankimchandra, Tagore, Saratchandra, Bibhutibhusan, Tarasankar, Manik.
7) Women and Bangla Literature.
a) Swarna Kumari Devi, b) Ashapurna Devi, c) Mahasweta Devi, d) Rajlakshmi Devi, e) Kabita Singha,
f) Nabanita Deb Sen
Paper – II : Section – A
1) Vaishnava Padavali (Calcutta University Publication).
Phases (Parjayas): Gourchandrika, Purvaraga, Abhisar, Mathur, Prarthona.
2) Chandimangal: Kalketu episode by Mukunda (Sahitya Akademi).
3) Meghnadbadh Kavya by Michael Madhusudan Dutta – 1st, 2nd and 3rd cantos.
4) Rajani by Bankimchandra Chattopadhyay.
5) Kapalkundala by Bankimchandra Chattopadhyay.
6) Samya and Bangadesher Krishak by Bankimchandra Chattopadhyay.
7) Punascha by Rabindranath Tagore.
8) Bichitra Prabandha by Rabindranath Tagore.
9) Chacha Kahini by Sayed Muztaba Ali.
10) Chandragupta by Dwijendralal Roy.
11) Grihadaha by Saratchandra Chattopadhyay.
12) Adhunik Bangla Kabita
i) Saswati by Sudhindranath Dutta
ii) Rabindranath by Achintya Kumar Sengupta
iii) Aami Kabi Jata Kamarer by Premendra Mitra
iv) Bandir Bandana by Buddhadeb Basu
v) Amar Koifiat by Kazi Nazrul Islam
13) Prabandha Samgraha by Pramatha Choudhuri:
Selected Essays: Bharatchandra, Birbal, Boipara
14) Pather Panchali by Bibhutibhusan Bandyopadhyay
15) a) Ekaler Galpo Sanchayan – Vol.- 1 & 2 (Calcutta University Publication).
b) Selected Stories:
i) Payomukham by Jagadish Gupta
ii) Haraner Natjamai by Manik Bandyopadhyay
iii) Fossil by Subodh Ghosh
iv) Tope by Narayan Gangyopadhyay
v) Adab by Samaresh Bose
vi) Aswamedher Ghora by Dipendranath Bandyopadhyay
16) Shrestha Kavita by Jibanananda Das.
17) Jagori by Satinath Bhaduri.
18) Ebam Indrajit by Badal Sircar.
Old question papers are available here: Click here
Details of the examination is available here.: Click here
Our own publications are available at our webstore (click here).
For Guidance of WBCS (Exe.) Etc. Preliminary , Main Exam and Interview, Study Mat, Mock Test, Guided by WBCS Gr A Officers , Online and Classroom, Call 9674493673, or mail us at – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please subscribe here to get all future updates on this post/page/category/website